Your pharmacist is your expert on the everyday health related questions
Some people are worried to ask questions linked to the use of medicines, but it is very common and health professionals are happy to discuss. During a single year every one of us will use a medicine at least once and 1 in 10 of us will use medicines every single day.
If you have any questions about your medicine ask
your pharmacist for help
Your pharmacist is your neighborhood medication expert. He or she can help you understand the prescription your doctor gives you and can help you choose the best non-prescription- sometimes called “over-the-counter” or OTC-medications for you.
If you have any questions about your medicine just ask your pharmacist in “Nota Bene” Pharmacy for help.
Taking even the simplest of medicines may be more complicated than you think. For instance some medicines should be taken with meals, others between meals. Some may make you drowsy, while other keeps you awake. Alcohol or caffeine, other medicines, certain foods or smoking also may affect the way your medicine works. And some medicines have side effects that are barely noticeable and mildly bothersome; other side effects may require medical attention.
Regardless how often you take medicines, information about their use enables you to gain the full benefit of the medicine you take. This information applies generally to both OTC and prescription medicines. But if you are taking a particular medicine, be sure to ask your doctor or pharmacist for specific information about it.
Here are some questions you could ask. They have been appointed by our pharmacists and it is obligatory to have the answer before the start of a new medicine*:
- What does this medicine do?
- How and when should I take it?
- How do I know it’s helping?
- How can I be sure it’s safe for me to take it?
- What side effects are most likely from this medicine?
- What should I do if I get these effects?
- Could another medicine do a better job, with less risk?
- What if I stopped taking it, or took a lower dose?
- How does this mix with other things I take, or with food and drink?
- How long will I need to use this medicine?
- Will the medicine build up in my body?
- Do I really need to take all these medicines?
- Is there anything that can help to remind me to take my medicines?